Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's time for some holiday baking!!

Now that the crazy school semester is over. (I admit I am not one to always complain about school this time around simply because it really is my choice to go back to graduate school; no one else but mine. However, this semester has been hard with lots of writing and entire weekends devoted to writing, which I didn't sign up for! I guess that goes with the territory.) I digress..I wanted to share one of my FAVORITE holiday recipes that I will be working oh so feverishly on this weekend as a gift and treat for our family Christmases.

Banana Bread in a Jar. I have seen cookies and brownies in a jar, but never banana bread. And I LOVE the recipe. It is oh so good. Check it out if you want a great gifting idea on the cheap. I will be posting more as the weekend baking commences.

Yummy Banana Bread in a Jar

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 2 2/3 cups white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups mashed bananas
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2/3 cup chopped pecans

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease insides of 8 (1 pint) straight sided, wide mouth canning jars.
  2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, bananas, and water. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to banana mixture. Stir in nuts.
  3. Pour mixture into greased WIDE MOUTH pint jars, filling 1/2 full of batter. Do NOT put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims.
  4. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.
  5. As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.
  6. Jars should be eaten immediately or kept sealed in refrigerator for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment