The next evening I spent with good friends, Christina and Paul, and we had a traditional Christmas dinner followed by an outrageous game called Quelf. I made the cheesy corn casserole that is famous at Jack Stack BBQ in KC. I thought I'd share the super easy, but super cheesy and divine recipe:
Cheesy Corn Casserole
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices of chopped bacon (or you can use the ready-made kind for salads)
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (add more if you're like me and LOVE garlic)
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of Velveeta
- 1/2 package of cream cheese, cubed
- 3 packages frozen sweet corn, thawed
I have also done this recipe with the paired down "fat" versions, so I've used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" baking sticks, reduced fat cream cheese, skim milk, etc., and most people cannot taste the difference.
- Make a simple roux by melting the butter and bacon together over medium heat; Stir in flour and garlic powder.
- Whisk in milk over medium heat.
- Heat until thick and bubbly; stir in cream cheese/cheeses. Stir over low heat until cheeses melt.
- Pour cheese mixture over corn in 9x13 pan.
- Bake in 9x13 casserole pan for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.