Friday, March 9, 2012

A Change Up for Lent...

Yesterday was a good day. The sun was out. I got a lot done at work. I ran my 3.5 miles in almost record time. I cooked two dinners and washed dishes. Watched some shows, took a nice bath and did some reading. Yep, that was my day, but it was a good day nonetheless as I felt productive.

My first dinner was a chicken and wild rice casserole from none other than Pinterest found here.

I then made a lasagna primavera for a change up to our usual fish on Fridays during Lent.

Here is the recipe I came up with using stuff in my pantry:
  • 12  no-boil lasagna noodles
  • 3  cups frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 2  green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 1 can of Italian style tomatoes, drained
  • 1  container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
  • 1 package of Italian shredded cheese
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
  • Italian seasonings, salt and pepper to taste
I might add I would probably add a little more to it next time with some carrots and zucchini.

Here is a pic of the ingredients and prep work.

Mix the spinach and ricotta cheese together. Then put a thin layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom, layer with noodles, spinach/ricotta mixture, veggies, cheese, and then repeat. I did three layers of that, but you could do more.
And here you have the final product after baking for one hour at 350 degrees in the oven. I tried just a bit of it last night, and it was pretty good although like I said I probably would add more veggies if I had them in my house at the time. 
This was a great alternative, and I hope Todd likes it it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment