Friday, January 7, 2011

91 years

Five generations on my Mom's side at Alexa's 3rd birthday party in 2008.
Yesterday my great-grandmother Krumm passed away at 91, 8 days past her birthday. Mom said she thought she was holding out for one more year, and I'd like to think so too. It's been a rough couple of years for my Mom and Grandma watching our dear loved one slowly slip into poor health.

She was my last living great grandparent. I am so thankful to have known quite a few of my great grandparents. Talking to some of my new family, they didn't know any great grandparents, and I feel special to even have memories with them.

I loved Grandma (as we called her) Krumm's house. It was a little house on Holdredge Street in Lincoln. The same street my daddy went to college on at UNL. We would walk from the ice cream parlor (much like Call Hall at K-State) ice cream in tow to her house after he would get done with class for his Master's. She and Grandpa Krumm also had the most immaculate yard. It was beautiful with hedges, flowers, bird baths and vintage patio furniture that we loved to relax on after a hot summer day next to their garage. She also made the best sandwiches. Her bread was always so fresh it stuck on the roof of your mouth.

I was trying to remember last night how long it had been since they sold that house and she moved around to different nursing homes before settling in Hiawatha with my Grandma Baker and our family. That was a really sad time for her and our family. I think it is for everyone when they know their loved ones can no longer care for themselves at home but you hate to put them somewhere where it's not a home.

Anyway, I know she is no longer in pain nor suffering. I like to think she knew it was time, and it wasn't like it was something we could have done differently. She had a good 91 years. I always wish it could be longer for the sake of our family. It is pretty neat that we have 5 generations in our family with Alexa, my niece. There are few families who have four generations let alone a great-great grandchild.

Pray for our family's healing and peace through this time. Pray for my great-grandmother that she now has no pain and suffering and is basking in the Eastern sun of our Lord.

With this post, I leave you with a few of my favorite motivating lines when I am going through some tough times.
  • Life isn't fair, but it's always good.
  • It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
  • Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special and you may not have tomorrow.
  • Frame every so-called disaster with these words: "In five years, will any of this matter?"
  • Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
Have a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment