Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love of Purple...

K-State 150 Anniversary logo
K-state celebrates 150 years of higher education.
Photo courtesy of Kansas State University.





Today is Valentine's Day in case you forgot! Hee...but it also happens to be the first kick-off day for Kansas State University's 150th birthday celebration.

There are few things in life that bring me much more joy and pride than my alma mater! I BLEED purple. Now, I may not be the biggest sports fan of our teams. I mean I fly my K-State flag more than anyone in the state of Missouri or wear my K-State apparel on game day, but I don't go to games anymore. I just don't have the time, nor make the time.

The thing that makes me much more proud than our sports team is the idea that K-State truly was the first "people's" college. You see, K-State was the first land-grant university in the country. The Morrill Act of 1862 set aside federal dollars for universities to purchase ground to build institutions of higher learning in agriculture and sciences. K-State was formed on February 16, 1863, as Kansas State Agricultural College. Not just that we started the first school for common people to receive an education, we also were the second school to admit men and women equally.


Fast forward a few years, and K-State is well-known nationally and internationally for multiple reasons. We are the top-ranking public university with Rhodes, Marshall, Truman, Goldwater, and Udall scholarships. We also have the Biosecurity Research Institute, which houses infectious disease research found no where else in the country. The National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility will also find its home at K-State. Not only is research done from university professors, but the highest ranking officials in our country ensuring a safe food supply against bioterrorism. We also have some pretty awesome competitive teams like the debate, livestock, crops, and other judging teams. BIG STUFF, YA'LL!

I am so proud to be an alumna of this university. In my opinion, there is not a more well-respected, research and teaching university than that of K-State. Not only is the College of Agriculture one of those, but so many other colleges like architecture, hotel/restaurant management, and others. When I tell people I went to K-State, they almost instantly talk about how I received a top-notch education.

I am so thankful I stuck with it, did all that I could do to be involved, and made the most of experiences, friendships and classroom/internship opportunities.

I try to support my alma mater as much as possible, from wearing purple on the most special occasions (like my wedding!) to financially supporting the university. When that phone call for Telefund comes in about another week, you bet I'll be sending my money to K-State! Go State!


No comments:

Post a Comment