Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Welcome to the "family"

It's been a little while, sorry...

I wanted to catch you up though on some things, which actually has been a lot!

Easter weekend, as I said in my previous post, was a huge milestone for our "new" family. Todd became baptized and confirmed in the Catholic Church. To start off with, I spent a good four hours baking Friday night while Todd hung out with his brother-in-law, Derek, talking all things turkey. I made him a Texas sheet cake, his favorite, and cinnamon rolls. All from the Pioneer Woman cookbook. (LOVE her blog, Pioneer Woman)
Here is the start to the cinnamon rolls. Yummy!
Here is me all dressed in She Safari camo and my jake!
The whole weekend I told Todd it was his weekend, so I got up really early Saturday morning to go turkey hunting with him, his dad and Derek. We went to their farm by the Platte River. Todd and I went off next to his food plots for deer and sat for about 20 minutes before we heard lots of gobbles. Todd called for probably five minutes before they came off their roost and four jakes were very interested in his "real" hen decoy. Todd had already got his two gobblers in Kansas and wanted me to get one, so I shot a jake. It was really fun as usual watching Todd with his excitement. I just tell him it's all about the person helping me as to why my hunts go well. Ha!

So we cleaned him, rested and got ready for the big part of the weekend, his baptism and confirmation on Holy Saturday. My family and Todd's parents and sister and Derek all went to Willie's in Atchison for his celebration dinner. I didn't realize it was the same place as the one in Manhattan! I loved it as I did when I went to college, and it is so awesome to have it that much closer to home. I'd suggest going there if you are ever in Manhattan or Atchison! Check them out Willies in Atchison

We then left to go over to St. Benedict's, which is a gorgeous church. It used to be the old abbey before they built the new one in the early 1900s. It is a parish church now and has a very large congregation. Todd got to sit in the front row. It was a blend of Holy Saturday ritual/baptism/confirmation/first Holy communion all wrapped in one. It was so AWESOME! I got a little teary-eyed thinking about how much this means to me and how much it will mean to us on our wedding day. He chose "Francis" as his baptismal and confirmation name as that is his dad's and late grandfather's middle name. I gave him a really nice "handsome" leather bible with my baptismal medal I got when I was baptized as a baby as a bookmark on the verse I felt described us as it does many couples, Matthew 19:6, "6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder."

Todd's baptism
Todd's confirmation
Glory be to God! He is Risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment