Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A New Year...

It is already a great start to the new year with my updates since we were able to go to Mass on a Sunday, and it happened to be January 1st too, the Solemnity of Mary, which is a Holy Day of Obligation in the Catholic Church. You may ask what is the Solemnity of Mary? It is a day we celebrate Mary, the Mother of God, and her will to bring Christ into this world to save us. It is through her willingness that we have salvation. I won't get into it too much, but that is the essence of celebrating her on this day.

I've struggled a bit to get Todd to go to church, and I kind of do not blame him as it is not something he grew up doing, but he made a promise/vow to attend church when he became Catholic, and it is so important to me to start our marriage on the same page and grow together in Christ. To get a little sappy, I feel it is my second chance to make things right with God with our marriage. I did a lot of things I regret over the last seven years, and am thankful for His mercies to forgive and make everything feel like it will be okay as long as we try and are faithful.

And with the new year, we also wanted to check out the new church in Smithville, Mo. I have to say it was one of the most awe-inspiring days I've been in church. It was still decorated for Christmas, which I love, and it is beyond beautiful with all the natural light that is let in because of the huge windows. I love churches that have lots of light. Especially on this past Sunday, I felt like I could feel God's love pouring down on us through the beautiful sunshine. Even Todd said he felt refreshed after we walked out of church. Everyone seemed to be friendly too. There was a good mix of older couples along young ones with small babies. I don't know about most of you, but it has been hard to find a church home for me even though I've lived in the area for four years. Not that any of them have done anything wrong; it just hasn't been the most welcoming or friendly experience coupled with no avenues for Todd and I to grow together through activities for young couples. I hope this one works out. Here are a few pictures of the church and the one below is of the crucifix above the altar:

Photo courtesy of: Good Shepherd Catholic Church

No comments:

Post a Comment